Aniston Beats Ex Pitt in Weekend Box Office
Jennifer Aniston in Marley & Me; Brad Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Owen Wilson and a blonde lab helped Jennifer Aniston beat ex-husband Brad Pitt in holiday weekend box office — and beat everyone else as well.
Marley & Me, in which Aniston and Wilson play as a couple dealing with a very badly behaving dog, earned $37 million for the top grosses from Friday to Sunday, Exhibitor Relations said Sunday.
Pitt's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button took in $27.2 million during the same period, which was only good enough for third place. Adam Sandler's Bedtime Stories grossed $28.1 million.
Tom Cruise's Valkyrie made more per theater than Bedtime Stories — as did Button — but its $21.5 million total take was only good enough for fourth place.
Revolutionary Road, which reunited Titanic stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet as a 1950s couple trying to escape suburban conformity, averaged $64,000 at each of its three theaters — the best average of the year, for a total gross of $192,000.
Here are the top-grossing films of the weekend based on Exhibitor Relations' final numbers:
- 1. Marley & Me, $37 million
- 2. Bedtime Stories, $28.1 million
- 3. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, $27.2 million
- 4. Valkyrie, $21.5 million
- 5. Yes Man, $16.5 million
- 6. Seven Pounds, $13.4 million
- 7. The Tale of Despereaux, $9.4 million
- 8. The Day the Earth Stood Still, $7.9 million
- 9. The Spirit, $6.5 million
- 10. Doubt, $5.7 million